Friday, January 16, 2009

Greetings from Cowtown

To quote a friend of a friend, I never thought I'd be hip enough or cool enough to start my own blog. But here I am, starting my own blog. It seems that things have been guiding to me do this, so I finally decided to take the plunge and get started.

I am a social worker, and for almost two years I have worked for Katten & Benson, a law firm in Fort Worth specializing in elder issues. Now, a social worker in a law firm is a rare thing, indeed, but Steve Katten is a pretty rare lawyer. He is one of two Certified Elder Law Attorneys (CELA) in Tarrant County, and as he tells it, he realized some time ago that many of his clients needed more than the legal services he could provide, and that's where I come in.

While I have a title, Elder Care Coordinator, all you social workers out there know that titles in our business don't really mean anything. We do it all, or at least it feels that way many days! I have regular clients that I see through our Life Care Planning program, and I will talk more about that concept in the future. I also field questions from many other clients on issues like choosing nursing homes, or understanding their Medicare benefits.

One of my passions as long as I have worked with older adults is education, and helping people have the knowledge they need to make the best and most well-informed decisions possible, and that's why I decided to start blogging. I hope that as I run into situations and write about them, you will glean a little knowledge and understanding about growing older, caring for aging parents or loved ones, and navigating our crazy health care and public benefits systems. I don't know how often I'll post, but I hope that you'll check back often and see what's going on here in Cowtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment