Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Health Care Debate

I read an interesting article this morning on the internet. The article is attributed to LiveScience.com. The headline read Health Care Debate Based on Total Lack of Logic, so of course I had to read it.

The crux of the article is that we are illogical (Mr. Spock has known that for 40 years). In the case of health care reform, each side starts with a conclusion, then works backward to find facts and data to support the conclusion. I know this to be true, because that's how I wrote an awful lot of my papers in graduate school. I'd write the paper, then go back to all the reference books to find supporting documentation to support my theory or hypothesis, instead of doing the research first. Today all you have to do is watch FOX or MSNBC to see this in action.

The article also made the point that the town hall meetings can promote even more rigid beliefs. Why? Because changing your mind about an idea can affect your sense of identity and sense of being part of a community.

So with that in mind, I think it might be helpful if we all take a step back, take a deep breath, and try to listen to the other side. Certainly each side of the debate has valid concerns and valid points that deserve to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment