Saturday, March 12, 2011

Reverse Mortgages

I sometimes have people ask my opinion about reverse mortgages, and I have to tell you, I'm not a fan. I think the number of people for whom a reverse mortgage is a truly good idea is extremely small, and for too many people I think they are downright dangerous products. 

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I got a great deal on my house because it had a reverse mortgage, and the heirs were desperate to sell quickly so they could pay the reverse mortgage off, so I guess I would have to say a reverse mortgage was good for me, it just wasn't MY reverse mortgage.

Anyway, I bring all this up because the AARP has sued HUD over a rule change that is putting a small number of reverse mortgage holders under the threat of foreclosure. The New York Times has an excellent article on the story, which includes some great links of it's own to other sources of information on reverse mortgages. 

I encourage everyone to read this article, and follow some of the links included, to learn more about reverse mortgages.

No comments:

Post a Comment